Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Tales from A Teacher's Heart: More Than Music

The last post spotlighted a young man who asks the pointed question, "Do You Believe in Me?"

This video illustrates why we need to believe in, and continue to believe the power of students to succeed. The story is very real and comes from my second year as a teacher. This past January, Eye on Education featured it in their "Tales from a Teachers Heart" series. You can view the video also at this link or access the entire series by clicking here.





Do you have a story from your own teaching background that needs to be told? I invite you to comment about it. As a child, was there a special adult who brought out the best in you? Let us hear about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story! It made me think of a special band director and a flute teacher who taught me more than music. From each of them I learned that I was indeed a lovable, worthy human being, that I was more capable than I realized, that I actually could become confident in myself and my abilities, and that perseverance pays off. Really, I learned so much more. Being a part of something big, (a marching or symphonic band), was a life-changing opportunity that taught me the significance of each person, regardless of how small their part may be. My music teachers changed me for the better...and made me who I am today. I can only hope that I have had that kind of influence on a child.

Lydia

Dr. Frank Buck said...

Lydia,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, We shared so many of the same experiences and I would agree that many of the things we learned way back then are still impacting us today.

Frank