Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Making Photo Albums on the BlackBerry PlayBook

My PlayBook has a great camera and taking pictures is easy. This post addresses two points any user would eventually have:
  1. What is the easiest way to transfer pictures from my PlayBook to my desktop computer?
  2. How can I organize photographs on my PlayBook?
I had been using my USB cable to "sync" PlayBook pictures with a folder on my computer. Organizing the pictures on the PlayBook into "albums" was something, however, which alluded me. After doing a search, I found others had the same question. Here is an option that is easy, gives me a better way to get pictures onto the PlayBook, and at the same times gives me a simple way to create albums on the PlayBook. This method does assume the PlayBook and the computer are both attached to the same Wi-Fi.

  • On the PlayBook go to "Storage & Settings." Turn on "File Sharing." Turn on "Wi-Fi Sharing."


  • On the computer, go to "Start."
  • In the "Search files and programs" line on your computer, enter your PlayBook's IP address. To find this address, from the PlayBook's home screen, swip down to reveal the settings menus. Go to "Wi-Fi." Click on the "?" in the lower left corner. Under "Diagnostic Information," go to "Internet Connection." The "IP Address" is what you will use. Begin with "\\" making what you enter look something like: \\123.1.1.1


  • The window you will see includes a file called "media." Open it. 


  • If prompted for a username and password, the username can be found by going to your PlayBook's "Storage & Sharing" and then to "Network Identification." The username that you will supply is the username diplayed here. 
  • If prompted for a password, you will also supply whatever password you used in the "Password Protect" line on the "Storage & Sharing Screen." 


  • Open the "photos" folder and and create folders as needed within it. The folder names will correspond to the albums you wish to create.
  • Drag photos into the photos folder as desired.
  • You will probably also see photos in the "camera" folder which you wish to move to your newly-created album folders.Simply open a separate window and drag them over. 
  • You can rename photos, delete photos, and drag additional photos into or out of the folders you create.
  • Your results will appear on your PlayBook. Here are several albums I just created.



This technique makes transferring pictures from the PlayBook to the computer quick and easy. Creating albums is effortless.

I now have organized sets of pictures on my PlayBook. Plugging the micro-HDMI cable into a TV, any photo album can be displayed as a full-screen slideshow on the TV.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice procedure . . . works great! Thank You

Dr. Frank Buck said...

You are welcome. I had been using the PlayBook for almost a year before finding out about this easy way transfer files.

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing for my book in the book folder, same way as the picture as shown above But I can't locate the book I transfered from my PC to my PlayBook very 2 Where to see. The book is in PDF

Dr. Frank Buck said...

Try opening Adobe Acrobat Reader (or whatever PDF program you have on your PlayBook). You will probably find all of the PDFs in the list that appears.

I would also suggest downloading Air Browser. It's free in BlackBerry Appworld. It's a file management program that makes it a little easier to organize and find your stuff. Hope this helps.

deadpoet99 said...

Thanks for the tips, however how do you delete an entire album on your PlayBook?

Dr. Frank Buck said...

Use the same procedure as you did for creating the album. View it on your computer over your network. Delete the album (folder) there.

Kelly Brueggemann said...

I’m sure most users would want this! It’s always nice to keep pictures all arranged in various categories or dates. With most of our phones equipped with cameras nowadays, it’s hard to resist taking pictures when you find something interesting or funny or uplifting. Good thing that along with the permission to take as many pictures as we want comes the standard feature of a more organized storage and more convenient way of sharing.

Dr. Frank Buck said...

Kelly,

You have a good point. For some people, leaving the photos organized chronologically is enough. Others want to have some things filed together by subject. I never could find a way to make albums on the PlayBook, so I was glad a find there actually is a way to do it.