Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Need a Quick and Easy Homepage? Try This

What's your primary web presence? With all of the options social media provides, most of use have multiple accounts. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest each provide ways to communicate what you have to say to those who need to hear it. But, if you had to point to one tool which serves as the hub for your online presence, what would you say?

For me, this blog was my first online presence and remains the most powerful. It tells the stories which cannot be told in 140 characters. My website serves as a place that presents the over-arching picture of who I am and what I do.

But, what if you don't foresee writing numerous blog posts? What if you don't need the complexity of a web site? What if all you need is a simple "home base" that provides a space to introduce yourself to the world, provide contact information, and link to your social media pages?

If this description sounds like you, take a look at About.me. The following you provides an overview.



Many people need a web presence but don't want to spend a great deal of time maintaining it. This service could be just the thing.

2 comments:

Janet Abercrombie said...

Interesting idea. My first online presence was a Google site that I planned to use as a personal portfolio that prospective employees would see. The portfolio isn't as necessary now that I have a blog.

It seems like the aboutme.com site is a mix between Facebook (which I use only socially) and LinkedIn (which I use only professionally. Would it be the first hit if you Google searched a name?

Dr. Frank Buck said...

Janet, I don't think it would necessarily be the first hit. How many people have visited it, how many links to it are found on other sites, and a number of other factors would play into it. I think About.me is a good tool for people who don't have a website or blog and need a place to post non-changing information about themselves or their business.