Friday, April 15, 2011

Google Language Tools

In the technology workshops I conduct, Google's language translation capability is a topic I enjoy. We all use Google, yet many people have not noticed the little "language tools" link. That link allows us to type text in one language and have it translated to another. The same area allows us to enter a URL and view the site in another language. I have used that capability for years to allow people to translate any of the blogs I have authored into another language just by clicking a link.

How accurate is the translation? Those who speak foreign languages fluently tell me that grammatical and syntax errors are common. The meaning, however, is conveyed well.   

Just how does Google handle the process of language translation? This video provides an interesting explanation.

No comments: