Wednesday, July 30, 2008

To Blog or Not to Blog?

A post appeared on Leadertalk from a new administrator asking for advice about blogs. That post is here. I responded with my own comments and invited readers to come here for links to examples.

I invite you to view these:
  • TeachTalladega.blogspot.com This is our central office blog for communicating with employees. On both of these last two blogs, selected people from each school have the capability to contribute to the blogs.
The post on LeaderTalk was composed by a new administrator, so I think it would be helpful to see the work of someone else who is brand new to the principalship:
  • RLYoung.blogspot.com This blog is for the parents at Raymond L. Young Eementary School (Talladega, AL) For someone who stepped into the principalship in January 2008, this blog has been a true treasure in terms of transmit information and warmth to the community.
  • 4youngteachers.edublogs.org Although the title is "Just for R. L. Young Teachers," I don't think they would mind interested visitors. Pattie Thomas, principal at Raymond L. Young, put a great deal of thought into how she would communicate with her faculty, and this is the results that is being rolled out for the start of this school year.

2 comments:

Kerry Palmer said...

Frank,

As a first-year principal, I can say that your time management techniques have changed my life and have made the transition into this new job much easier. Thank you!

Following your lead, I have established two blogs of my own at Trinity, and they are working out well so far. www.tpsmiddle.blogspot.com is for the parents and community, and www.tpsmiddlestaff.blogspot.com will be for our teachers. The faculty is already excited about getting information without having to keep up with paper.

I highly encourage new administrators to utilize the blog. You will love it!

Kerry Palmer

Dr. Frank Buck said...

Kerry,
Your blogs look great, and I think as the year goes along your teachers and your parents are going to come to see that simple tool as a way for them to stay "in the know." In a world of WAY too much to do, blogs have been one of the biggest time-savers I have run across.

Congratulations on your appointment as principal. Trinity is a great place and I know it's going to continue to get better under your leadership. The principalship is a brave journey and I know you are equal to the task!

Frank