Friday, July 04, 2008

Leadership Day 2008

ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more Last year, Dr. Scott McLeod, author of the Dangerously Irrelevant blog issued a call for bloggers to post their thoughts on effective school technology leadership. He termed July 4, American Independence Day, as also being "Leadership Day." Here is the feed back he received. In this post, Scott issued a similar call, and in this post, I am happy to respond.

The question posed is: What is a technology tool that would be extremely useful for a busy administrator (i.e., one he / she probably isn’t using now)?

My first thought is Outlook synced to a SmartPhone. While Outlook is so universal in terms of being present on our computers, most people use it for e-mail only and use their SmartPhone for calls and e-mail only, ignoring the potential to be the all-in-one storage and retrieval systems for all of our commitments.

With Outlook, I have the ability to drag and drop any e-mail and convert it to an appointment or task with the entire body of the e-mail message safely tucked away in the notes section of that appointment or task. My e-mail Inbox is empty at the end of the day. All of the details which accompany an appointment or task are together. When I get up from the computer, that wealth of information is with my on the BlackBerry.

What a stress-reliever it is to know that nothing is being forgotten. I can concentrate on the one thing which has my attention without having to worry about the several hundred other things I could be doing.

No comments: